Graphics and Your Ploud Site
From low cost, library-specific clip art to free online graphics editing tools, this site aims to provide one-stop shopping for Michigan Ploud libraries.
In order to obtain the correct aspect ratio (16:9) for carousels, you need to adjust your photos. Here's a free tool that will allow you to do that. You can use the images that you export from Croppola with any of the graphics editing tools on the left to crop them to the right size for a carousel.
Free and Low-Cost Graphics
Need a place to get inexpensive artwork or photographs to spice up your site? Check out the great options below. On the left are free image sources. Please note that artwork from some of these sites requires attribution and not all art at those sites is free. Be careful as you search and happy searching!
On the right are low-cost image sources. They generally charge $1 - $2 per image. There are, of course, many other sites with high quality graphics but they generally require a monthly subscription and I have not included them in this list as they tend to be expensive.
Tier One (modern graphics and photos)
- Flickr Commons - watch out for those attribution requirements as you surf!
- FreeImages.com - related word clouds make searching a snap
- Iconfinder - easy to switch between free and low-cost images and image sets
- Morguefile - free stock photos for commercial use
- pixabay - free images and videos, attribution not required
- Wikimedia Commons - free images and videos
- You can also use Google Images and after you've searched utilize the "Usage Rights" drop down menu and select "Labeled for noncommercial reuse"
Tier Two (historical photos and drawings)
- Old Book Art
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Collection
- Digital Public Library of America - The copyright status of items in DPLA varies. DPLA links to a wide variety of different materials: many are in the public domain, while others are under rights restrictions but nonetheless publicly viewable. For individual rights information about an item, please check the “Rights” field in the metadata, or follow the link to the digital object on the content provider’s website for more information.
These four services allow you to purchase pay-as-you go credits (often in small credit packs) for a dollar or two per image.
Need a logo? Try these source which sell them for approximately $1 - $30 a piece.